Address: 20 rue du Tribunal, between Palais Kheireddine and Dar Lasram
What is today “Club Tahar Haddad”, was the former “Makhzen”, the stable and the storage, of Dar Lasram. The prestigious residency of the Lasram family was built from 1812 to 1819. Its founder, Hammouda Lasram, had bought a tobacco factory and a few surrounding houses to raze them for his new family home. With a surface area of 2250 m2, Dar Lasram is a good example of a large traditional Tunisian residence with the service areas, the storage, and the stable on the ground floor, with the first floor dedicated to family members while the upper floor was reserved to guests. The complex included three gardens. In its architectural style, Andalusian, Italian, and Turkish influences were blended. The palace was occupied by the Lasram family until its acquisition for the Municipality in 1964. Today, it is home to the “Association for the Safeguarding of the Medina” in the main building, and the Club Tahar Haddad, installed in the Makhzen.
CLUB TAHAR HADDAD
Club Tahar Haddad is a socio-cultural center, founded in 1974. Its name refers to a famous Tunisian reformist of the early 20th century, who advocated the emancipation and equality of women.
LINKS Club Tahar Haddad
Tahar Haddad (1899-1935) was a writer, scholar, and reformer. In the 1930 published book “Our Women in the Shari’a and in the Society”, he advocated for expanded rights for women and said that the interpretations of Islam at the time inhibited women. His demands prevented his admission to the university and earned him hostility in the press and in public. He paved the way for Habib Bourguiba, the first President after the independence that implemented the “Code of Personal Status”, guaranteeing some of the widest protections of women rights at that time. Till today, Tunisia is at the forefront of caring for women’s rights in the Arab world and Tahar Haddad is a widely known public figure.
LINKS Tahar Haddad